A gummy smile, also referred to as excessive gingival display, is when an excessive amount of gum tissue shows on the top jaw when you smile. This can make you feel uncomfortable, and some people even hide their smiles because of this problem. Fortunately, it is possible to correct a gummy smile.
At Ghina Morad, DMD, you can receive expert dental care followed by a customized treatment plan to manage your gummy smile. Read on to learn more about the causes of a gummy smile and how to fix it.
Causes of a Gummy Smile
Many things can cause a gummy smile, including but not limited to the following:
- Abnormal teeth eruption
- Side effects of some types of medications
- Poor dental hygiene
- Genetics and Anatomy – (a combination of tiny teeth, large jaw, short upper lip, and small teeth)
- Gingival hypertrophy – a condition caused by excessive growth of gum tissue on the teeth
Types of Orthodontic Treatments for a Gummy Smile
Discussing your problem with Dr. Morad is essential as she will identify the exact cause of your gummy smile and recommend the best treatment option for you. Here are four common types of orthodontic treatments to consider.
- Braces or clear aligners – Misalignment of the jaws and teeth can make your gums appear more prominent. Braces and clear aligners like Invisalign can help move your teeth and jaw to the correct position.
- Botox injection– Botulinum toxin (Botox) injections are applied to the upper lip muscles to reduce the exposure of excess gum tissue when you smile.
- Jaw surgery (orthognathic surgery) – This is an exclusive treatment reserved for severe cases like jaw protrusion or jaw overdevelopment.
- Gum contouring – This is a dental surgery that involves removing excess gum tissue and recontouring gums to display more of the teeth’s surface.
How Do I Know Which One Is Right For Me?
Choosing the right orthodontic treatment option is crucial because it helps you get the care you deserve. Remember that different gummy smile conditions require unique types of treatment. That is why you need to contact a local, licensed orthodontist to assess your situation and develop a viable treatment plan for you.
The orthodontist will consider your symptoms, cost, the severity of the issue, and of course, your personal preferences to select the option that meets your needs.
Furthermore, you should find a dental care provider with the right skills and experience to handle any type of orthodontic service. At Ghina Morad, DMD, we have the needed expertise to treat a wide range of complications related to the gums, jaws, and teeth. We can fix your gummy smile in no time to induce confidence in your smile.
Need Help Fixing a Gummy Smile? Get in Touch Now
If you are struggling with low self-esteem due to a gummy smile, we at Ghina Morad, DMD, can help. Our professional orthodontists will assess your problem and recommend the most suitable treatment for your unique situation. Please contact us online or call us directly at (650) 592-6396 to schedule a consultation.